Friday, July 25, 2014

Book Report - The Time Traveler's Wife

Title: The Time Traveler's Wife
Authour: Audrey Niffenegger
Length: 528 pages
How long it took me to read: 4 days
Grade: A

What it's about: A dazzling novel in the most untraditional fashion, this is the remarkable story of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who travels involuntarily through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate love affair endures across a sea of time and captures the two lovers in an impossibly romantic trap, and it is Audrey Niffenegger's cinematic storytelling that makes the novel's unconventional chronology so vibrantly triumphant.

The ending is the most important part: The ending is sad, and a little Notebookish, but still okay.

Last word: I wasn't intending to finish this book as quickly as I did, but I just couldn't stop reading! A well-written, lovely read.

Spoilers after the jump

I was a little apprehensive in reading this book, because the whole idea of Henry visiting Clare when she was a little girl and he was an adult was a little too Lolita for me, but it wasn't like that in the book at all.

I also hate it when stories flip around to different points of view, but when it's well written, it works, and this really worked. The time-line changes a lot, but the way it's written, it's not confusing at all.

The ending was so sad, and I feel like it could have been edited down to about 400 pages and still been just as wonderful, but I still really loved this book.

As an added bonus, I have two new book crushes in Henry and Gomez. I kind of hoped that Clare would be with Gomez after Henry died, but the authour chose to go the way of The Notebook and Twilight where the female protagonist loves her one and only and only her one and only and she would rather be alone than be with anyone less than their one true love. I'm okay with this in theory, but this does not relate well to real life, and Gomez was so cool and was waiting for Clare and loving her just as much as she waited for and loved Henry.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment