Friday, March 7, 2014

Book Report - The Secret Lives of Dresses

Title: The Secret Lives of Dresses
Authour: Erin McKean
Length: 290 pages
How long it took me to read: 4 days

What it's about: Dora is in love with a man who barely notices her, has a job she doesn’t care about, and dresses entirely for comfort, not style. All a far cry from her vivid, eccentric childhood, growing up with her beloved grandmother Mimi.

However, when disaster strikes, Dora knows she has no choice but to return to her childhood home and take over running Mimi’s vintage clothing shop. And there she makes a surprising discovery – Mimi’s been writing stories to accompany every dress she sells. Romantic, heartbreaking tales about each one’s secret life before it got to her shop...

Dora starts to matchmake these lonely frocks with new owners, but will the stories help her as well? Trading her boring high street clothes for vintage glamour is one thing. What she needs to know is whether she can trade her safe old life – and love – for something better too?

The ending is the most important part: The ending was lovely - but I want more!! I wanted this book to go on forever. Sequel, please!

Last word: I recommend this book to everyone. It is a wonderful story full of all things lovely and beautiful. I want to live in this book.

Spoilers after the jump

What a wonderful story!! I want more!!

I want to know about Dora's parents. I want to know more about the new shop. I want to know if Camille and Tyffanee got their comeuppance. I want to know if Dora was able to track down Rachel. I want more descriptions of Maux's wedding! Did Maux come to work at the new Mimi's? Erin McKean: I. NEED. MORE!!

My first career was in retail, my post-secondary education is in fashion design. I've been sewing since I was six. I've been thrifting since I was twelve. I describe my style as classic, modern vintage. I love things that are old, just not used, and since I can sew and make my own patterns, well, I can copy a lot.

This book was right up my alley. I just wish I could figure out what I want to do when I grow up as neatly as Dora has!!

No comments:

Post a Comment