Saturday, August 4, 2012

Yes, No, Maybe So

I am really good at making decisions. I have a really good relationship with my gut, and I see most things in black and white, so I have the ability to make snap decisions. I rarely regret the decisions I have made. I am not one of these people who need to take time to weigh the pros and cons and see things from every angle before they make a decision about something.

My definition of “gut” is when your head and your heart agree. When my head and my heart agree, my gut says yes, therefore that is my decision. If my head and heart disagree, the answer is no.

I am a really open minded person and I can see things from both sides. There have been times when I have made a decision about something but later learned more information and changed my opinion. I am not above changing my opinions about some things, however, there are things that I know to be absolutely true because I have looked at it from all angles and tossed it around and around in my head and still come to the same conclusion.

It can seem like I make rash decisions because I answer so quickly and am so determined to stick to what I say.

Here’s the deal:
  1. I am thinking all the time. I think about everything. When it comes time to make a decision about something, chances are that I’ve already thought about it and formed my opinion. Just because I haven’t discussed things with you doesn’t mean I haven’t thought about them. I’m a keep things in my head until I have them straight kind of girl.
  2. I know myself really well. (see #1) I know what’s good for me and what is not most of the time.
  3. I have had so many opportunities to make bad choices as a youth that I really know what’s bad for me. Since I know so well what’s bad for me, I also know what’s good.
This does not change the fact that I’m not perfect and don’t always make the best decisions. There are times when I need to mull things over and make pro/con lists and ponder, but these times are rare and often involve other people. I am also not too proud to admit when I made a bad choice and need to change my mind. I’m not too stubborn to be persuaded to see someone else’s point of view, but that doesn’t always change mine.

People who can’t make a decision or don’t stick to what they decided drive me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment