Friday, October 11, 2013

Book Report - Ballet Shoes


Title: Ballet Shoes
Authour: Noel Streatfeild
Length: 233 pages
How long it took me to read: 2 weeks

What it's about: Pauline, Petrova and Posy are orphans determined to help out their new family by joining the Children's Academy of Dancing and Stage Training. But when they vow to make a name for themselves, they have no idea it's going to be such hard work! They launch themselves into the world of show business, complete with working papers, the glare of the spotlight, and practice, practice, practice! Pauline is destined for the movies. Posy is a born dancer. But practical Petrova finds she'd rather pilot a plane than perform a pirouette. Each girl must find the courage to follow her dream.

The ending is the most important part: This book ended with all loose ends tied up.

Last word: I'm indifferent to this book. There were some lovely parts, and it's well written, and I recommend this to every little girl in the world. I just wish I'd read it when I was younger.

Spoilers after the jump:

This book was lovely but meh to me. I didn't love it, but I most certainly didn't hate it. Like I said, I wish I had read it when I was younger.

You've Got Mail is what inspired me to read this book. You know the part where Meg Ryan's character is in the children's section of Fox Books and she talks about this book?

I had such high hopes for this book as I was a ballet dancer and aspired to be a professional dancer when I grew up. This book just didn't speak to me. Sad for me, because it is well written and the story is fine.

Petrova was my favourite character, and the part about Christmas was absolutely perfect, but the rest of the book was just kinda - well I just wish I had read it when I was younger. I'm sure I would have loved it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment