Monday, January 20, 2014

So this happened...

After last year's Salt Lake Comic Con fiasco of waiting in line only to find out it's all sold out, I took matters into my hands and bought tickets online this year.

Actually, Salt Lake is having a FaneXperience Comic Con in April in addition to the regular Comic Con in September. Anyway, I bought mine and Huey's tickets already.

This week in Utah we are having the Sundance Film Festival, and I have wanted to participate in that for years. George Takei is in town for Sundance, and contacted the FanX people to tell them he would do a signing/photo-op thing while he was in town.

O. My.

You guys, I have never done anything like this before.

Ticket holders got to stand in the line behind the VIP folks, but in front of the General Admission people for a chance to have their picture taken with Sulu. It was like pictures with Santa, but with nerds.

A couple of things;

  1. I forget that certain Star Trek fans are social pariahs and don't have the best social skills. Nor have any concept of personal space. Or of social cues - as in, I'm standing in line with my nose buried in a 500 page book, I am not up for a conversation; and, stop touching me with your jacket!!
  2. O, the people watching - I cannot wait until FanX
  3. Some women are in major need of Shapewear
  4. I am such a former mean girl, if the nerds knew this, I would be so banished.
  5. I really hate it when my inner high school mean girl comes out. She is such a beeotch to my inner nerd.
  6. Sulu is so cute, you guys! Look how cute he is!! OMYGOSHILOVEHIMSOMUCH!!
  7. George Takei has a unisex cologne that you can buy. It's called 'Eau My'.
  8. There is a lot of waiting in line with these things; wait in line to get in, wait in line to pay $30.00 cash only, wait for the VIP line to empty, wait in line for your picture... I'm glad I did this, and I'm glad I wore the right shoes.
  9. I can't imagine how draining doing something like this would be for me. Major kudos to George for sacrificing his time like that!
  10. I am really disappointed in my friends - I posted this picture on Facebook and not ONE person commented with an "Oh my".


I was so giddy once my turn came. I couldn't believe I was meeting Sulu!!! I loved him when I would watch Star Trek with my dad. It was such an emotional thing for me to meet him, and to feel his aura, and to have the memories of my dad in my brain. I was flying when I left. That was so fun. It was really well organized and went really smoothly too. I was there for an hour and a half, but the time really flew by because the lines did move quite well.

I'm so glad Sulu was my first fan experience. I will totally do something like this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment