Friday, May 16, 2014

Book Report - The Fault in Our Stars

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Authour: John Green
Length: 318 pages
How long it took me to read: 2 days
Grade: A

What it's about: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

The ending is the most important part: The ending is sad, and the ending has hope. The ending is good.

Last word: I was afraid to read this book because I am the mother of a cancer survivor, and I was worried it would be emotional, but it is so well written, the characters so loveable and true, the dialogue so excellent, that I absolutely loved it.

Spoilers after the jump

The other day, a sister was giving a talk in church and was talking about burdens and quoted her father-in-law's feelings when they received the diagnosis of their son's brain tumour. I burst into tears because the words matched my feelings of devastation when Dewey was diagnosed with Stage IV Neuroblasoma in December of 2007. I was worried that I would have a similar reaction to this book, but thankfully I didn't. I think this is because I was aware of the subject matter and metally prepared.

This book is so well written. The characters are real and true and hilarious and clever. I really, really recommend this book.

It is sad, hello, it's about children with cancer, but it is so enjoyable because it is so real and so true. *Spoiler, I'm not kidding* I was relieved and sad when Augustus died, but there was so much warning that I was prepared for it. I knew it was going to happen, and I was just so happy that Hazel didn't die, because I loved her so much and I wanted so badly for her to live.

The only time I sobbed in the book was when the parents were grieving, because it hit me just perfectly. I've been through what these parents have been through, and John Green describes the situation perfectly.

Wonderfully, wonderfully written. A terrific book. You will cry though.

No comments:

Post a Comment