Thursday, July 12, 2012

Interview With the Vampire

I have always been fascinated with vampires.

When I was in high school, I used to dream of becoming a vampire. I thought it would be so cool to be frozen in time and be able to live forever and never die. Drinking blood? I’d be cool with it. Never having to eat again? Awesome. Partying all night and sleeping all day? The best! My friends and I would hang out in cemeteries and pretend we were the undead. We would fantasize about what we would do if we were vampires. How we would live undetected, etc. We would be so rich, it would be so rad, etc. I was enamoured with Bela Lugosi and the Lost Boys and Fright Night. I hate scary movies, but I love vampire movies.

Vampire is the only Halloween costume that I repeated when I was a kid. Since then, I’ve been a vampire many times.

When Twilight came out, I realized that it was the first vampire book I had ever read. I have seen numerous vampire movies, but I had never read a book. Thinking myself lacking, I decided to read some vampire books.

I read Bram Stoker’s Dracula. I had seen the movie when it came out in 1992, but the book seemed so tame in comparison. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as I liked the movie. I guess I was expecting more from the book.

I read John Polidori’s The Vampyre. It’s supposed to be one of the first vampire stories. It's okaaaay, but - meh.

On to Anne Rice and Interview With the Vampire. I haven’t seen this movie, but was aware that Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, and Kirsten Dunst were in it. I was so excited to read this book because it was so popular so it must be good and there’s a whole CHRONICLE of vampire stories for me to read and YAY for vampires!!

O. My. Gosh. I could not pull myself through this book. It was so boring. It took forever for anything to happen. The ending was weird. I just couldn’t get on board with Louis and his self-loathing. I had to renew it from the library three times in order to get through it. It just seemed to take so loooong to read. I was not sucked into the story at all. (no pun intended) I didn’t understand the whole thing with Claudia. I definitely did not love her, but she was my favourite character because she was not boring. I drudged through to the end with the hope that it would get better and it never did. I can’t not finish a book because the ending is the most important part and so this became more of a chore. This made me mad because I so love to read.

I dunno, I just thought it was lame and boring and nothing happened and nothing came to conclusion and I wish I had never read the book.

What is wrong with me? For someone who has been a vampire lover her whole life, I think it’s really disappointing that the only vampire book that I’ve enjoyed so far is Twilight.

No comments:

Post a Comment