Tuesday, April 16, 2013

So. Boston.

So.

There have been some lovely things said here on the internet about what has been happening in Boston. I particularly love what Patton Oswalt said:


Patton Oswalt · 240,376 like this.
Yesterday at 14:56 · 
  • Boston. Fucking horrible.

    I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

    But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

    But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

    But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

    So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

I have never been to Boston, but I know some people that have and that are from there. I have never run more than a mile, but I have friends and relatives who have and do and good for them.

I just wanted to add my two cents about the whole thing.

I love what Mr. Oswalt said about humanity. There have been a lot of comments about those who ran towards the devastation to help. I sit in amazement and honour those people. I am reminded of how the country rallied together in unity after 9/11.

When Dewey was diagnosed with cancer, people came out of the woodwork and bent over backwards to help our family. So much so that I didn't know how to respond other than to be so, so very thankful. So much love and wonderfulness was poured out to our family. So much so that when it was all over and people weren't praying for us or offering to clean my house any more that there was a gaping hole of emptiness left over.

I just wanted to add to what has already been said by everyone else about the goodness of mankind. Yes, there is evil in this world. People make bad choices all the time and we are all effected by tragedy - some more so than others. I think the miracle that comes out of tragedies like this is the heroism and goodness that is shown by mankind to their fellow men.

Go human race!

No comments:

Post a Comment