Friday, December 6, 2013

Book Report - The Book Thief

Title: The Book Thief
Authour: Markus Zusah
Length: 552 pages
How long it took me to read: 3 weeks

What it's about: It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.
Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.

The ending is the most important part: I laughed, I cried, I could not put it down once I got to the end of this book.

Last word: Read it. Everyone should read this book.

Spoilers after the jump

I was so worried, because it was taking me so long to read this book, but I feel like it was more my life was taking too much of my time and I just wasn't making the time to read.

This book was well written, beautiful, had amazing characters that I loved. I especially loved Liesel (of course), Rudy (duh), and the Mayor's wife.

It is narrated by Death. Usually Death is an evil character, something to be feared. The author brilliantly wrote Death as a sympathetic character. I loved this about the book. Death is so overworked.

The minute I finished it - and of course I totally cried for 100 pages, I gave it to Huey to read. He would have loved it too.

I totally recommend this book for everyone. It was wonderful.

I really hope the movie doesn't ruin it.


No comments:

Post a Comment