Friday, February 28, 2014

Book Report - The Princess Bride

Title: The Princess Bride
Authour: S. Morgenstern/William Goldman
Length: 398 pages
How long it took me to read: 1 month, 1 week

What it's about: What happens when the most beautiful girl in the world marries the handsomest prince of all time and he turns out to be...well...a lot less than the man of her dreams?
As a boy, William Goldman claims, he loved to hear his father read the S. Morgenstern classic, The Princess Bride. But as a grown-up he discovered that the boring parts were left out of good old Dad's recitation, and only the "good parts" reached his ears.

Now Goldman does Dad one better. He's reconstructed the "Good Parts Version" to delight wise kids and wide-eyed grownups everywhere.

What's it about? Fencing. Fighting. True Love. Strong Hate. Harsh Revenge. A Few Giants. Lots of Bad Men. Lots of Good Men. Five or Six Beautiful Women. Beasties Monstrous and Gentle. Some Swell Escapes and Captures. Death, Lies, Truth, Miracles, and a Little Sex.

In short, it's about everything.

The ending is the most important part: I liked the end of the movie, the ending of the book was less than that.

Last word:  UGH. I love this movie, why was it so hard for me to read this book? The best parts were the back story parts of Fezzik and Inigo. I think this would be more enjoyable if you (unlike me) didn't have this movie memorized.

Spoilers after the jump

I have wanted to read The Princess Bride for a long time. I even started reading it with Huey, but he got bored and didn't want to read it anymore, so we quit. I decided to read it on my own, and it was very, very hard to read. I came to the conclusion that I had already seen the movie a million times and  have it memorized, so I already know what happens, so I wasn't compelled to find out how the book ends. 

The movie pretty much follows the book verbatim, so a lot of the time, I felt like I was reading the script of the movie. The extra bits were few and far between and not necessary to the story, but interesting. 

I recommend the book, but it just took me a long time to read, so it felt like a chore.


No comments:

Post a Comment