Friday, April 4, 2014

Book Report - The Giver

Title: The Giver
Authour: Lois Lowry
Length: 179 pages
How long it took me to read: 3 days
Grade: C

What it's about: Jonas' world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.


The ending is the most important part: While the ending was satisfying, I am not invested enough in the characters to continue reading the series.

Last word: I was so meh on this book.

Spoilers after the jump

Lois Lowry is the author of the Anastasia books - I loved those books, but I did not love The Giver.

This book just did not speak to me. While I hated their way of life, and wanted Jonas to get out of it, and I'm glad he did, and took Gabriel with him, I just thought that the people were too innocent and ignorant and I didn't like that.  I didn't like how the leaders and parents were so clueless! The characters seemed so one-dimensional.

I'm sure the rest of the books are better and that the story gets better, but I'm just not compelled to find out the rest of the story. There are too many good books out there, and not enough time.

We'll see. I may pick this up another time. I don't want to discourage you from reading it, I'm just saying that it wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment