Friday, April 11, 2014

Book Report - The Maze Runner

Title: The Maze Runner
Authour: James Dashner
Length: 374 pages
How long it took me to read: 3 days
Grade: C+

What it's about: "If you ain't scared, you ain't human."
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

The ending is the most important part: The ending was good, but this book was frustrating to read, so the ending was not satisfying.

Last word: This book is like The Lord of the Flies except with less violence, and a maze. It is very confusing, and the author does not give anything up. The reader is as confused as the characters. I didn't like this. I am unsure as to whether or not I will continue with the series.

Spoilers after the jump

Thomas can't remember anything, and neither can anyone else, so he can't find the answers to his questions, and neither could I.

There are two reasons why I kept reading:
1) I can't not finish a book
2) I had so many questions that I needed answering - I had to find out what happened!

Also -MAJOR SPOILER ALERT- I knew the exit was through the Griever hole! I also knew that Thomas was going to get himself stung so that he could remember.

The author didn't give you a lot of information or background or answers as to why the boys were there, why the boys who had gone through the Changing were so mad at Thomas. I found that I have more questions than answers, and I found it a very frustrating read. I tried so much to find someone else who had read the books so I could find out if the other books get better, but I have yet to find someone who has read it.

I am seriously wavering on whether or not I'm going to continue with this series. I want to find out more, and the characters are great, especially Minho, but I'm afraid that the story will continue to be slow moving and not giving up of information to the point that I will continue to be frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment