Friday, July 26, 2013

Book Report - Angela's Ashes


Title: Angela's Ashes
Authour: Frank McCourt
Length:  363 pages
How long it took me to read: Two and a Half Weeks

What it's about:
Despite extreme poverty and desperation of his childhood McCourt recounts his early age in an affecting and uplifting voice in this luminous memoir.

The ending is the most important part: I was so happy this book ended. There was hope at the end and it did end well, but I hated this book

Last word: Ugh. What a drag. Don't Read This Book.

Spoilers after the jump:

This book took me forever to read because I couldn't drag myself to read it. I hated this book. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I had to force myself to finish it because I can't not finish a book, but BROTHER! What a chore!!

Perhaps I hated it so much because it describes a rough childhood and I had a rough childhood and who wants to hear about that? Granted, McCourt's childhood was seventy billion times rougher than mine. I wanted to strangle his father for drinking the dole, and the book got much better once he was out of the picture.

Granted, there were times that I smiled and laughed out loud. Mr. McCourt can definitely write a story, this is just not one that I would recommend reading. It took too long and was too dreary for me.

I loved that the ending was happily ever after, and that there was hope in the story, but the best part about the ending was that the book ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment