Friday, July 19, 2013

Book Report - Beautiful Redemption

Title: Beautiful Redemption
Authour: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Length:  451 pages
How long it took me to read: A Week

What it's about:
Is death the end . . . or only the beginning?
Ethan Wate has spent most of his life longing to escape the stiflingly small Southern town of Gatlin. He never thought he would meet the girl of his dreams, Lena Duchannes, who unveiled a secretive, powerful, and cursed side of Gatlin, hidden in plain sight. And he never could have expected that he would be forced to leave behind everyone and everything he cares about. So when Ethan awakes after the chilling events of the Eighteenth Moon, he has only one goal: to find a way to return to Lena and the ones he loves.

Back in Gatlin, Lena is making her own bargains for Ethan's return, vowing to do whatever it takes -- even if that means trusting old enemies or risking the lives of the family and friends Ethan left to protect.

Worlds apart, Ethan and Lena must once again work together to rewrite their fate, in this stunning finale to the Beautiful Creatures series.

The ending is the most important part: This whole book is an ending and the ending is satisfying... ish. I'm sad that the series is done.

Last word: Usually when I take longer than a week to read a book it's because I don't like it, but I was so sad for the series to end that I took my time with this one. The book ended how you thought it should, all happily ever after, which for once, seemed a little anti-climactic, but I still recommend the series.

Spoilers after the jump:
I was a little disappointed.

The narration skipped to Lena's point of view half way through the book, and while necessary to tell the story, I hate it when authours change the point of view. It worked enough, but after reading 3 1/3 books from Ethan's point of view, I kept forgetting that it was Lena narrating and I got confused.

I loved the part with Ethan and his mum, I was sorry she wasn't a bigger part of the story. I also kept shouting "Where's Marian?" She didn't appear until halfway through the book.

Even though Angelus got what he deserved, I was hoping that there would be more witnesses to his death. That those he had sentenced would see him get destroyed, and be released from their punishments. I also thought his end was a little too mild. He deserved to suffer more. I felt that he went too easily.

I was also hoping that Ethan Carter Wate and Genevieve would have been able to finally return to each other. I sort of thought that maybe Xavier was Ethan Carter Wate. I was disappointed to discover that he was dead twice and used as a puppet by Angelus. 

With the exception of Amma, everything was tied up in a happy little bow, the three couples at the Dairy Keen eating burgers, fries, and shakes like normal American teenagers. I thought this to be a little boring and anti-climactic, but I still highly recommend the series. Just know that it ends with less of a bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment