Saturday, May 26, 2012

Favourite Songs:

For summer: “Boys of Summer” Don Henley

For cruising in summer: "Summer Time" Will Smith

For getting up and dancing: “Jump” House of Pain

For remembering those favourite exes: “Alex” Punch Brothers

Duran Duran Song: “The Chauffer”

The Cure Song: “A Forest

Song from a soundtrack: “If you Leave” OMD (from “Pretty in Pink”)

Girl Power: “Bad Reputation” Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Beach Boys: “In My Room”

From the Grunge Era: “Dirty Boots” Sonic Youth

Song that reminds me of a specific ex: “Crazy for You” Madonna

Theme Song: “Dancing Queen” ABBA

Cover: “Suspicious Minds” Fine Young Cannibals

Break up: “Don’t Speak” and “Ex-Girlfriend” No Doubt

Really Really Really Sad Song: “The Hurting Time” Annie Lennox

Mellow Chill-out: “Fade Into You” Mazzy Star

B-52s: “Dance This Mess Around”

For a specific time in my life: “Grade 9” Barenaked Ladies

Song that makes me think of Halloween: “Heads Will Roll” Yeah Yeah Yeahs

For when my relationship is depressing: “Heavy in Your Arms” Florence + the Machine

Angsty but mellow: “I Wanna Be Adored” Stone Roses

The Smiths: “Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want”

Romantic: “If You Were Here” Thompson Twins

Teen Angst: “Institutionalized” Suicidal Tendencies

When my relationship is good: “Junk of the Heart” The Kooks

Tells an excellent story: “Underwhelmed” Sloan

Song at my wedding: “Love is all Around” Wet Wet Wet

When I’m feeling ‘Woe is Me’: “Only Happy When it Rains” Garbage

That makes me think of the times with my Girls: “Sneakernight” Vanessa Hudgens

Heartbreak: “Sweater Song” Weezer

Depeche Mode: “Somebody”

Coming of Age: “Son of a Preacher Man” Dusty Springfield

Police: “Every Breath You Take” and “Wrapped Around Your Finger”

Sad: “Stay” Shakespear’s Sister

Also sad, but in a different way: “Strange Currencies” R.E.M.

The only time I was serenaded, so it’s a favourite: “Suck My Kiss” Red Hot Chili Peppers

Reminds me of a different specific period of my life: “Take Me on the Floor” The Veronicas

Love Song: “A Thousand Years” Christina Perri

80’s Love Song: “True” Spandau Ballet

Birthday Song: “Happy Birthday” Altered Image

Song that must be danced to every time you hear it: “We Got the Beat” The Go-Go’s

Inspiration for a book I’m writing that I should really get serious about and write it all the way done: “88 Lines About 44 Women” The Nails

Music feeds my inner beast. It speaks to me. It is such an excellent escape. It moves me - most of the time to dance, but in other ways too.

One curious thing: I can't always write while listening to music, it's too distracting. Sometimes, if I'm in the right frame of mind, I can have it on in the background, and at other times it helps to drown out the background noise and makes me focus, but for the most part, I have to separate the activities. EITHER I listen to music and let my mind flow, OR I write and let my mind flow. I think that's weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment