Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Hiking Diamond Head with big D

I spent all this time talking about planning for my trip to Oahu and then never said anything about it after I got back! Bad Rantgirl! No cookie!

So things were fine. Hawaii is Hawaii. Hot. Beautiful. Ocean. I want to live there. Palm trees, mountains. Perfect.
View of Diamond Head from Waikiki Beach

Things with my brother were fine. He's my favourite sibling and we get along great. I felt like I was sixteen again: waking up every morning to my brother walking around in his gonch. I hardly saw him because he was off doing things with his friends which was the reason I was there; so that he and his wife could go out and have fun and someone was there to watch the kids.

It was so fun having all D's friends be totally unsurprised that I am his sister as we look so much alike. I am like a female version of him. Now that we are all so spread apart and hardly see each other it's nice when people recognize the family resemblance.

The other fun thing was that most people at the wedding thought that Goonie-goo-goo was my son, not D's because we look so much alike.
Goonie-goo-goo and I at the Honolulu airport

On my last day there, D and I hiked Diamond Head which is the one thing I wanted to do with him. Things were so busy that we had to shove it in at the last minute. I'm really glad we shoved it in. We went to Pearl Harbour in the morning, came home, my sister-in-law put the kids down for a nap, and D and I took off. It was nice to get some one on one time with my big/little bro. (he's big because he's much taller than I, and he's little because he's four years younger.) It was so weird hanging out with the grown up version of my little brother. I hardly ever get a chance to see him because I live in another country, and now he's all married with two kids and a job and stuff. Not the little kid with the weird friends that left Legos all over the floor and made the bathroom that we shared so gross. He still leaves the seat up, so there's that. Any way, we talked all the way up and all the way down. I still had to stop halfway up the stairs at the end, so I didn't reach my goal of not having to stop, but it's an amazing hike with the best reward ever at the top: a 360 degree view of Oahu. You can almost see the whole island from up there. It was really crowded as was everything else we did when we were there, because Waikiki, but it was by far the most enjoyable thing I did when I was there. We came back to the condo, he crashed, I did my souvenir shopping, mailed my postcards, took the photos I wanted to take, and walked along Waikiki beach for the last time. (all things I was supposed to do on my first day there, but whatever.)
Big D and I at the top of Diamond Head

I didn't have any major expectations for the trip because I knew I was just going to watch the kids, and since I have only really seen my niece and nephew once before, it was good. I was basically stuck to the condo for most of the trip because of naps and the fact that Goonie-goo-goo went to bed at 5pm and PJ followed soon after at 6pm, and D and J were out every evening, but that was what I was expecting. After the kids went to sleep, I would do the dishes, clean up, grab some cookies and milk and my laptop, and hang out on the lanai until I couldn't keep my eyes open any more, and be in bed by 9pm. With the four hour time difference, I didn't have a lot of chances to talk to my family back home, but everyone lived.
On the lanai

All in all, it was a very relaxing trip for me with the copious amounts of alone time which is what a trip to Hawaii is about, isn't it? I'm so glad I got to go.
One last photo of Goonie-goo-goo because he's so darn adorable

No comments:

Post a Comment