Thursday, January 12, 2012

House Rules

In the last two days I have received phone calls from various sources asking me if I know where my children are.
The first one was from their father as they had not come home from school and he had to leave for work. (They're usually home by now) That morning on the way to school, Dewey had asked me if he could go to a friends after school and I said that it was okay with me if it was okay with them. Apparently, it was not only okay for Dewey, but Huey was invited too. Turns out they were there at the neighbours alive and everything was cool. The mom had asked Dewey if we knew where he was and he assured her that he had asked me and I was okay with everything. Unfortunately, I had not mentioned this to their father.
So we re-established the let us know where you are by calling us rule.
The next day, I got a call on my cell phone from the school telling me that Dewey was still at school and Huey was no where to be found. They checked with his teacher and paged him, called home and searched the school. I called home and no answer and called their dad and no answer so I left him a message and told the school that I would be right there. As I was leaving work, I called home one more time and Huey answered. This is how the conversation went:
Eleven-year-old capable of thinking for himself: Hello?
Irate mother: Hi!
Clueless boy: Hi....
Spazzing out mother: So, do you know where your brother is?
Darling boy: No....
Crazy lady: Don't you think you should know where he is?
Wonderful boy: uh....
About to snap mother: He's at the school. Why did you leave without him?
My favourite son: Well, the girls (that I'm supposed to walk with to make sure that they're safe and don't get kidnapped or molested) didn't want to wait so they just took of walking and so I just went with them.
Snapped: DON'T EVER LEAVE SCHOOL WITHOUT YOUR BROTHER!! EVER!! DO YOU HEAR ME?!
Darling darling wonderful boy: mmm hmm.
*click*
I called the school and told them that Huey was home and that it was okay for Dewey to go home and that I would be there in a few minutes.
Fortunately, Selena Gomez came on the radio and put me in a better mood and helped me calm down before I got home and ripped their heads off.
When I got home, Huey and Dewey were in the driveway about to go in the garage. I'm proud of both of them for the following:
1) Immediately following my phonecall, Huey jumped on his bike to meet Dewey so that he wouldn't have to walk home alone.
2) On the way home, they established a meeting place so that they wouldn't have to search the school looking for each other anymore.
3) They found a $100.00 bill on the street, but, wanting to be a good scout (his words) Huey made Dewey just leave it. (we went back to find it so that I could knock on the neighbour's door to see if it was theirs, but it was gone)
4) Huey was fulfilling his responsibility and acting like a gentleman in making sure the girls got home safe. (forgetting his flesh and blood brother in the process, but whatever)
So in addition to their very smart plan of having a meeting place, they have now had it drilled in to their heads that flesh and blood comes first and that you never EVER EVER leave your brother behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment