Saturday, January 14, 2012

Hipsters say "you've probably never heard of it" because they don't want the masses to know about cool stuff and RUIN it!

I posted recently about the fact that morning is my favourite time of day. I really do enjoy the quiet peacefulness of it all. There's just something about being the first one up.
I have my routine - take my medication, drink a bunch of water, let the dog out, feed the dog, get on the computer. Enjoy the silence. (you're welcome for the earworm).
Lately, a certain someone has been ruining my peace:
Dewey - official sunrise gazer, disturber of the peace
We just recently went to Kauai to celebrate my 40th birthday. This was my third time to the islands, but the boys' first. I wanted my family around me when I celebrated. There is a three-hour time difference, so when it was 7 am in Utah, it was 4 am in Hawaii. I wake up at the same time every day. So when we were on holiday, I woke up at 4 am local time. By the time 6 am rolled around, I had been up for two hours, so I would be completely awake. The weather is so beautiful there that at 6 am it's 70 degrees outside. We were staying right on the beach, so I would go outside and just listen and breathe.
When we flew out of Utah, our flight was at 6 am, so we left our house at 4:30 am. Our first leg was to SFO, and Dewey and I shared a row. We watched the sun come up as we were flying away from it.
The first morning in Kauai, Dewey came out to hang out with me while I was enjoying the quiet. He sat next to me on the beach, and then he sat on my lap on a beach chair and we cuddled while the sun rose:
Kapaa, Kauai Sunrise
My mother-in-law (the in-laws were travelling with us too) had given the boys notebooks to use as journals while we were there, and some pencil crayons if they wanted to draw pictures. Dewey drew the coolest picture of that sunrise.
It became a tradition for us to go out together each morning and watch the sunrise together. He would even come in and wake me up saying, "Mom! Is it time for the sunrise yet?"
While I love my little boy and I know that these moments will leave me, he's ruining mornings for me! It's all my fault for introducing him to the marvelous beauty that is the sunrise.


No comments:

Post a Comment