Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Dr. Pepper Dilema

So.

How are ya?

I love Dr. Pepper.

There used to be a time in my life where I couldn’t drive past a 7-11 without getting a Dr. Pepper Big Gulp. Whenever I would discover myself needing it, I would cut it out of my life. Cold Turkey. No more Dr. Pepper for YOU!

As I have become older, my resolve has weakened. I am no longer strong enough to cut Dr. Pepper out of my life for a long enough period of time.

It’s just that it’s so cheap! Ninety-five cents at the fountain with my re-fillable cup!

It’s just that it’s so yummy! It is so good.

It’s just that I can get so much more done around the house when I drink it every day! I tried weaning myself off by switching to rootbeer only to discover that it had caffeine too. The way I discovered this was that I had so much energy even though I wasn’t sleeping as well as I do when I’m off caffeine, so I suspected that Barq’s rootbeer had caffeine. One Google search later and my suspicions were confirmed. Well DARN it! If I’m gonna have caffeine, I may as well have Dr. Pepper because I like it so much more.

It’s just that it makes me so happy when I drink it because it is so yummy.

So those were the pros. Here are the cons:

Never in my life have I weighed this much without a baby in my tummy. Never in my life have I drank pop on a regular basis like I do now

It makes me jumpy and jittery and unable to focus.

I don’t sleep well which makes me grumpy.

My skin looks terrible.

PMS is fifteen times worse.

The yelling.

The sugar.

I don’t eat well because I don’t feel well because of the not eating well and the not sleeping well and the jittery jumpy grumpy yellingness.

I need to cut this out of my life. It is having a horrible negative effect on my life. I’m too weak to not need it. I need to get past the hump of needing it so much. Weaning myself off is not working. I need to CUT. IT. OUT. Cold Turkey. Like I used to.

Imagine, if you will, the debate in my head:

But I’m an adult and I should be able to do what I want.

No. This is bad for you. Very, very bad.

It’s not like I’m drinking or addicted to drugs or anything.

But you are addicted, it’s bad for you, you know it and you can’t stop yourself. It is controlling you. You need to stop.

But –

But it’s affecting your family. You need to stop.

Okay, you’re right, I see your point. Tommorrow, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment