Friday, June 7, 2013

Book Report - Warm Bodies

Title: Warm Bodies
Authour: Isaac Marion
Length: 256 pages
How long it took me to read: 1 day

What it's about: R is having a no-life crisis—he is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he is a little different from his fellow Dead. He may occasionally eat people, but he’d rather be riding abandoned airport escalators, listening to Sinatra in the cozy 747 he calls home, or collecting souvenirs from the ruins of civilization.

And then he meets a girl.   First as his captive, then his reluctant house guest, Julie is a blast of living color in R’s gray landscape, and something inside him begins to bloom. He doesn’t want to eat this girl—although she looks delicious—he wants to protect her. But their unlikely bond will cause ripples they can’t imagine, and their hopeless world won’t change without a fight.
My take: I loved reading this book. It's a little gruesome - you know, zombies, but it's funny and full of hope, but the ending was weird. I totally enjoyed it until the end. I hope the movie's better.
The ending is the most important part: It ended with a fizzle, not a bang.
Last word: I recommend this book with a warning: there is a lot of swearing, and the descriptions of the Dead eating the Living are pretty graphic. This book is not for everyone, but I did enjoy it.

Spoilers after the jump:
The ending really bothered me, and as you know, I think the ending is the best part. This book is so enjoyable, and you are rooting for a zombie, which is so ironic. I love R and I also loved M. There is so much hope, and then the book just ends happily ever after. What?

There is one paragraph that explains what caused the curse that created the zombies, but nothing explains fully how the zombies are healing themselves. I suspect it's "love" or something, but how sappy a message is that? I found the ending to be way too inconclusive. It's almost like the authour decided that he'd written enough and just needed to wrap it up already.

There was this weird scene where Julie and R kiss and their eyes turn gold, and I was like, "What? Am I reading Twilight? Did a girl write this?" It totally didn't fit with the story, was stupid, weird, and unneccessary.

I think that the moral the story was trying to convey was that we're all zombies wandering around until we find something to be passionate about and the only way to cure our zombie-like state is to care about something. It also comments on the whole city living mentality that if we live close together, that we will be taken care of and that is a dangerous way to think. It also points out about the dangers of wanting to maintain the status quo and have things stay the same. I agree with all of these points, the book is well written and enjoyable, it's just that the book ended too soon and without enough explanation. I think I need to re-read the book just to figure out what happened.

Can't wait to see what the movie is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment