Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I’m Mad at all my Old Boyfriends

New Order
Bauhaus
Skinny Puppy
O.M.D.
Wagner
The Smiths
The Cure
The Specials
The English Beat
Iron Maiden
Public Image Limited
Suicidal Tendencies
Harry Connick Jr.
Echo and the Bunnymen
Guns ‘n’ Roses
Quiet Riot
Prince
The Rose Chronicles
Black Sabbath
Blue Rodeo
The Offspring

All artists that were introduced to me by old boyfriends.

Sioxie and the Banshees
Duran Duran
Nic Cage
Charlie Sexton
INXS
The Sundays
Cocteau Twins
Sonic Youth
Dido
Poe

All artists that I discovered through girlfriends or on my own.

I’m just mad because there is so much good music out there and I was spending so much time trying to impress boys by listening to what they were listening to that I missed out on some awesome stuff.

Nic Cage. I always knew about him, but never really listened to his stuff until recently and I feel like I’ve missed out on years and years of good music that I could have been enjoying all on my own. A lot of the times when I hear music from the old boyfriend list, I think of that person and it bugs me.

Don't get me wrong, most of the music from the boyfriend list is really good and I probably would have listened to it anyway. I also have a really eclectic range of tastes, because a lot of different types of people influenced my likes in music. I’m not sure I would have been open to some of the things I’ve listened to in the past if it hadn’t been for a boy, but is my life any better or worse because of it?

I just wish I could have discovered these things on my own instead of learning about them just to impress some stupid boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment