Friday, August 2, 2013

Book Report - Death Comes to Pemberly


Title: Death Comes to Pemberley
Authour: P.D. James
Length:  291 pages
How long it took me to read: Two weeks - too long

What it's about:
It is 1803, six years since Elizabeth and Darcy embarked on their life together at Pemberley, Darcy’s magnificent estate. Their peaceful, orderly world seems almost unassailable. Elizabeth has found her footing as the chatelaine of the great house. They have two fine sons, Fitzwilliam and Charles. Elizabeth’s sister Jane and her husband, Bingley, live nearby; her father visits often; there is optimistic talk about the prospects of marriage for Darcy’s sister Georgiana. And preparations are under way for their much-anticipated annual autumn ball.

Then, on the eve of the ball, the patrician idyll is shattered. A coach careens up the drive carrying Lydia, Elizabeth’s disgraced sister, who with her husband, the very dubious Wickham, has been banned from Pemberley. She stumbles out of the carriage, hysterical, shrieking that Wickham has been murdered. With shocking suddenness, Pemberley is plunged into a frightening mystery.

The ending is the most important part: Nope. The ending was in the second to last chapter and should have been there. After the trial, there is all this extra plot that is unnecessary. I didn't like the ending.

Last word: Totally didn't like this book. It was boring, and the ending of the murder trial was too out of nowhere. I was so disappointed in this book. Don't read it.

Spoilers after the jump:

I was so looking forward to reading this book. I had it on hold at the library for a long time. This is usually a good sign; when so many others are reading the book it's usually a good book. Not this time. I thought it would be a fun book to read; I am a Jane Austen fan, and a murder mystery fan. This book was neither an ode to Jane Austen's characters, nor a murder mystery.

Yes, Jane Austen's characters were in the book, but P.D. James is no Jane Austen, therefore, the characters are not written nor developed as well. These characters just happened to have the same names as Jane Austen's characters.

I thought this would be a little like Austen fan fiction, but really well written. Nope.

There were no twists and turns and speculations on whodunnit. There were just lots and lots and lots of details and so much information that my mind would wander because it was boring and then I would have to re-read the page because there was so much detail that I missed something and had to go back; therefore, it took me twice as long to read this book. I hated this fact.

This book was stupid, boring, and took way too long to read. I hate this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment