Friday, August 16, 2013

Book Report - Jake Reinvented


Title: Jake Reinvented
Authour: Gordon Korman
Length:   213 pages
How long it took me to read: 2 days

What it's about:
There is a mysterious new student at Fitzgerald High, Jake Garret. He seems to have it all figured out. He looks like he just stepped off the cover of the J. Crew catalog, he is the best kicker the football team has ever had, and best of all, he hosts the party to go to every Friday night. All the guys want to be like him and all the girls want to date him, but Jake only has eyes for Didi, the girlfriend of alpha male and quarterback, Todd Buckley . As Jake's friend Rick gets to know him, he at first admires him, then starts to like him, but soon grows to fear for him as he learns Jake's dangerous secret. From beloved young adult author Gordon Korman, comes a new look at age-old themes about popularity, acceptance, and human nature.


The ending is the most important part: This ended better than The Great Gatsby because Jake doesn't die, but the ending kind of fizzled - just like in The Great Gatsby.

Last word: Great read. Just like The Great Gatsby except in high school. The message was the same - people suck with the exception of some people.

Spoilers after the jump:
I was looking for a book for Huey to read and Gordon Korman was one of my favourite authours when I was a kid and I wanted to introduce Huey to him. Since school is going back in session I thought it would be an interesting book for him. He wasn't even interested in it, and wanted me to just read it and tell him what it's about. I had no idea it was a take on The Great Gatsby.

I wish I had known that this was an adaptation of The Great Gatsby. I love The Great Gatsby, but I wouldn't have read the book had I known, but I'm glad I did read it. It was funny, but followed the plot of Gatsby to the tee. I wish I had known this going in.

I still loved this story, but I loved Gatsby too.

No comments:

Post a Comment