Friday, December 21, 2012

Happy Winter Solstice!

Okay, okay, enough already. It’s winter.

Time to pull out the hard core sweaters and boots, down coats and sleds.


Hot chocolate is one of the best things in the world. An added bonus; Huey has informed me that I make the world’s best hot chocolate. He rarely tells me that I do anything right, so this is a very very good thing.

I bought a pair of Sorrels a couple of years ago and a whole new world has opened up to me. I had no idea that you could be out in the snow and NOT have cold, wet feet! Those boots are the best. I can wear them with pantyhose when I’m shoveling the driveway and still stay toasty warm.

Winter is fireplaces and snuggling and staying in. Winter is evergreen trees weighed down with snow.

Winter is bundling up and layering even more. Winter is wool socks and sweaters that are so cozy and warm. Winter is reading and writing and hunkering down with movie marathons.

Winter is an excuse to bake so that you can warm the house up.

Winter is snowball fights and throwing snowballs for the dog to chase and search for. (Where did that white ball go?) Winter is getting an excellent cardio workout by shoveling the driveway. Winter is finding a good hill for sledding.

Winter is coming in from the cold.

Winter is “Mom! Can I go outside? Please please please?”

Winter is Christmas Holidays.

Winter is a new year and new opportunities and hope.

Winter is remembering getting married to the man of my life.

Winter is Valentines day.

Winter is remembering the holidays we have taken in order to escape winter.

Winter is more reasons to walk the dog because he’s been cooped up inside all day going crazy. It’s watching the joy and wonder and sneezing as Orso snuffles through the snow. It’s the joy of watching Orso act like this is the best thing ever!


Winter can be dull and boring and blugh and cold and there is much to whine about with winter, but there are many awesome and beautiful things about winter so let's just focus on that, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment