Monday, March 11, 2013

Best Friends

Bess Marvin, Jane Bennett, Diana Barry, Alice Cullen, Vickie Miner, Flounder and Sebastian, Cinderella’s mice, Lane Kim, Ethel Mertz, Dr. John H.Watson, Betty Rubble, Patrick, Patsy Stone, Tinkerbell, Dick Grayson, Hermione Granger. What is with secondary characters? I LOVE them. I always want to be them.

I always love the Best Supporting Actress/Actor role more than the Best Actress/Actor. I always think these characters are so much more interesting and seem so much more fun to play.

In a beauty pageant it seems to me that the Miss Congeniality award would be so much more appealing than to win the pageant.

In The Holiday, Arthur Abbot tells Iris that she is always playing the best friend. She exclaims “You’re right! You should be the leading lady in your own life!

So why do I always identify with the best friend? Why do I always want to be like Bess and Alice? It always seems to me that they’re the more interesting character. They’re funnier, prettier, cleverer than the main character. Is it because the focus is on the protagonist, so the secondary character seems more mysterious? I always like to make back stories for them. Maybe because they are not as fleshed out as the main character, I am more able to give them some of my own qualities to fill in the gaps. Maybe it’s because they make the main character so awesome with their friendship, loyalty, support, etc. I guess I want to be a friend like that.

Ever since I saw The Holiday I’ve been striving to be the leading lady in my own life. Considering that movie came out in 2006 (on my birthday, which is one of my favourite things about the film), I’ve been spending a long time considering this and have yet to come to a conclusion.

Don’t get me wrong, I totally love Anne Shirley and Elizabeth Bennett and Nancy Drew and the rest, I just relate to the best friends more.

I GOT IT! I just realized that the reason why I wish I was the best friend was because I love these main characters so much that I wish I could be in their lives as their best friends!! Good job, Watson.

No comments:

Post a Comment