Wednesday, March 6, 2013

How Come you don’t talk like that in real life?

So the other day I was commenting back and forth with my brother and sister on Facebook and Huey was reading over my shoulder (can you imagine if I was doing that to him?) and asked the above question.

?? What??? I had no idea how to answer this question. When I asked for clarification, he said that I don't talk like I write. Hmmm, I like to imagine that people who know me can hear me talking when they read what I’ve written. You know how some people can do that? I love that. I guess I’m not one of those people.

Did he mean that I’m so much cleverer in real life than in writing? Or vice versa? I think he may have meant vice versa. I have my moments, but I can’t really pride myself on being the most quick-witted in the bunch. I’m one of those people who lay awake at night thinking up witty quips and comebacks after the fact. I’m not so quick on my feet, but when I’ve let things percolate a bit I can come up with some pretty awesome things.

Sometimes, if I know I’m going somewhere social, I lay awake the night before anticipating what the conversation will be like and prepare clever and cute things to say and try to weave them into the discussion. Just like Mr. Collins. Weirdo.

I guess I just have a split personality in my writing as much as I do in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment